Dear valued customers, as you must all be aware of COVID-19 and the strict protocols which have been implemented nationally, it is important that we continue to provide facilities to look after our current and prospective customers needs. Effective March 18th, 2020, My Insurance Broker closed its corporate offices and has since had all members of its staff and broker partners working from home. Although we maintain a few members of our team to continue to maintain administration functions, our doors continue to be temporarily closed to the public. We can however maintain all your queries through one of our secure alternative channels. Existing Clients: Please call us on our toll-free line or contact your broker directly. Our blog is constantly being updated and will have more information on ways to manage your policy, changes, and requests from the comfort of your home. Check back for this information and other useful tips while managing COVID-19 soon. New/Prospective Clients: Shopping has never been easier through our Online Quoter. Please complete your details online and one of our insurance specialists will contact you to discuss your coverage and premium. All of our agents are equipped to bind coverage over the phone so we’ve got you covered. No paper, no complicated emails or forms. One calls and have your policy in place over the phone! x

Compare rates on home insurance.

The perfect blend of savings and coverage.

July 10, 2016  •   2 minute read

Carbon Monoxide (CO)

…The Silent Killer

The dangers of Carbon Monoxide (CO)

Everyone is at risk. The threat of carbon monoxide poisoning is real; it can occur in any home at any time. It can be fatal without warning while your family sleeps.

What is Carbon Monoxide?It is a toxic, odorless, colorless and a tasteless gas.
Where does Carbon Monoxide come from?It comes from any fuel (gas, oil, wood or solid… fuel) burning appliance in your home.
How can you protect yourself from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?By installing a Carbon Monoxided (CO) detector, which is tested regularly and is kept in good working condition.
What are the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning?Headache, dizziness, vomiting, possible chest pain, confusion and death.

What has the Ontario Government Done About Carbon Monoxide?

The Ontario Government passed Bill 77 in December 2013. The Bill is called the Hawkins Gignac Act, named after OPP constable Laurie Hawkins, who with her husband and their two children died from carbon monoxide poisoning in their Woodstock, ON home in 2008. The Act requires all homeowners to install a CO detector and if you are not compliant, there may be penalties.

According to Ottawa Citizen (Oct 15, 2014) “Penalties for non-compliance are the same as those for failing to have a smoke detector. Inspectors can issue $235 tickets or lay charges that could result in fines of up to $50,000 for individuals and $100,000 for companies”.

Get a Home Insurance Quote Now
Home, Condo, Rental and Seasonal

Carbon Monoxide (CO) Responsibility, Installation and Testing:

A Carbon Monoxide alarm must be installed in close proximity to bedrooms and for added protection it must also be installed in an area closer to a potential source (consult the manufacturer’s manual for the ideal placement position).

Test your alarm regularly, and refer to the manufacturer’s manual for the recommended frequency. Follow the best practice of testing every month and changing the batteries every six months, an easy way to remember is to change the batteries in Spring and Fall when the clock changes.

Type of DwellingResponsibility (Installation & Maintenance)
Rented DwellingLandlord
Boarding, Lodging and Rooming HouseLandlord
Residential HomesOwner
Condominium SuitesOwner

Carbon Monoxide poisoning is preventative. Make sure you install a carbon monoxide detector and are compliant with provincial and local municipal by-laws.

Questions? I'm here to help.
Get your insurance quote over the phone—in minutes!
We are available M-F 9am-6pm and will call you as soon as possible. Feel free to call us at 1 (855) 482-5001 During normal business hours.